How To Buy A Volumetric Concrete Mixer With Long-Term Value
Updated April 2021
All concrete producers want the best value for the purchase price of a volumetric mixer. But how do you make sure you’re receiving that value?
It all begins with due diligence, such as asking industry peers for their opinion on a unit or searching online. But don’t let the deluge of information stop you from contacting volumetric manufacturers to learn more about their mixers.
Key Variables Linked To Volumetric Concrete Mixer Value
Many variables factor into the design and build of any unit with a functional lifespan of at least 10 years to 15 years. The variables affecting the equipment life expectancy and value at 5-year intervals are:
- Component selection;
- Material service life;
- The grade of bolts & materials used;
- The quality & type of welding gas and wire; and
- The preparation & application of paint & design.
Keep in mind that owning high-quality equipment doesn’t negate the need for periodic and annual maintenance. It helps the long-term value of a volumetric mixer.
Quality Design Is Critical To Performance
The first area to evaluate is design as it’s critical for equipment performance along with retained valuation. High-quality components don’t matter if the mixer is structurally deficient from a design standpoint. A description may list a sloped aggregate bin wall, cement metering, and a mix auger. This is where it’s important to do your due diligence and ask further questions, such as:
- Does the bin wall have appropriately sloped sides to allow free flow of materials while keeping a low center of gravity?
- How is the location of the bin wall supports coming off the aggregate conveyor belt determined?
10 Essential Questions To Ask About The Volumetric Mixer’s Design & Construction
The importance of asking probing questions to any volumetric mixer manufacturer can’t be overstated. These questions generally focus on seemingly minor details but are critical to functional and financial longevity:
- How is the water tank mounted?
- How does it fit into weight distribution and chassis stability when in motion?
- What gauge of steel is used in the conveyor and aggregate bins?
- How is this steel prepped, primed, and painted?
- How were the locations identified for the bin supports and vibrators?
- How is cement metered?
- How is the cement powder proportioned to aggregate metering?
- What is the homogenizing mixing auger’s diameter, speed of rotation, design of paddle locations, and wear blade chemistry?
- What is the location of the hydraulic motor?
- How is the auger coupled to the mixer?
Extra Considerations For Buying A Volumetric Concrete Mixer That Retains Value
How Does The Company Treat You During The Buying Process?
Is the company you’re working with treating you as a business partner or simply want a sale? Other considerations to keep in mind during the buying process whether they have or offer include:
- A Performance Guarantee;
- Emergency parts;
- Training options;
- Terms and details of their warranty, and
- Third-party reports.
Does The Company Have Post-Sale Service & Technical Support?
Even the highest quality product, such as a volumetric mixer, needs service and support from time to time after the sale. Knowing what your mixer manufacturer does — or doesn’t — in these areas before buying should weigh into your final decision.
Questions to ask the manufacturer include:
- Do you offer on-site training opportunities?
- If I hire a new operator, do you offer any classes or training to help them learn operations and maintenance for the unit?
- How does after-hours support work, such as on the weekend?
- What type of start-up support is available if I buy a mixer?
Also, does the company have service and parts specialists in place to provide technical support and service? Ask for their names and talk to them pre-sale — this is the team you’ll work with post-sale.
Can You Visit The Manufacturer?
With today’s technology, you can see so much with social media, websites, and videos. But if you have a chance, visit the factory. There you can meet the people who build the mixers, meet service specialists in person, and shake hands with your salesperson.
Purchasing equipment backed by superior design and high-quality components while undertaking regular maintenance means you’re developing the best potential retained value the market can offer. Contact Cemen Tech today or call (800) 247-2464 for more information on buying a volumetric mixer for your business.